Proposed Parking Ordinance - Summary
Second Reading is on Feb 23: The second reading of the parking ordinance is Wednesday February 23@6pm. Click here for the full staff report. Note the ordinance would go into effect 30 days after the second reading.
Info for Attending Feb 23: If you'd like to attend the February 23 meeting, here's the Zoom Link. You can also go to the City Council Meeting Page for full information (with agenda, reports, and zoom link).
My Summary of the Proposed Parking Ordinance: Here's my take on the basic terms:
- Residential: Prohibition against parking of RVs (defined in the ordinance) in residential neighborhoods at any time, with limited exceptions defined in the ordinance.
- Park, Square, or Alley: Same as residential - prohibition against parking of RVs, with the limited exceptions defined in the ordinance.
- Commercial, Industrial, Community Facility: Prohibition against parking of RVs during daytime (7:30am to 10pm), with the limited exceptions defined in the ordinance. RVs allowed at nightime (10pm-7:30am).
- City-Owned Lots: RVs and similar vehicles allowed during business hours while on City-related business.
- Visibility Provision: Prohibition against parking of RVs within 30 feet of a corner.
- Three Exceptions to Ordinance: 48 hours to repair mechanical breakdown, 72 hours in residential for loading/unloading of RV owned by resident or visitor, no prohibition for commercial vehicles (e.g. construction).
- Definition of RVs: The ordinance's definition of RVs includes "a motorhome, travel trailer, truck camper, camping trailer, or other vehicle or trailer," plus fifth wheel travel trailers, house cars, van campers, and van conversions. It limits the ordinance to those vehicles that have been "designed or altered for human habitation for recreational, emergency, or other human occupancy."
Caveat: The above is offered as a summary only. For anyone wanting to dig into the details, or make sure my summary here is accurate, please read through the proposed ordinance itself. This is just my personal take on the key provisions.